Sunday 6 May 2007

Pat Metheny with harp guitar

This time a video from Pat Metheny where he plays an unusual and original instrument, the Pikasso harp guitar, a 42-string guitar.

I got in touch with Pat Metheny for the first time about 24 years ago when I was about 17 years old. I got interested through a review in a musiciansmagazine from his live album Travels. I saw the record (for the younger people among us, the gramophone record was the analogue sound recording medium before the compact disc) in the music store, listened a few songs, bought it and got hooked. I saw him live once in the late 80's or early 90's and that concert is still in my top-10 all time favorite liveconcerts. A few years ago I've replaced my vinyl version of Travels by a CD-version.

I've always liked and still like Pat Metheny for his lyrical and melodic style of guitarplaying. Although considered as a jazz guitarist, he also uses elements from folk-, pop- and rockmusic. He collaborated with many great musicians from both the jazz- as the pop world, like bass player Jaco Pastorius, David Bowie, the late saxophoneplayer Michael Brecker, Joni Mitchell, Gary Burton, piano player Chick Corea, drummer Jack Dejohnette and many, many more.

I especially want to mention the Pat-Metheny album Bright Size Life on which he plays with Jaco Pastorius. The album was released in 1976 and was made in a trio-setting of guitar, bass and drums. Metheny's guitarplaying matches perfectly with Pastorius' virtuoso bass playing. I like this album a lot and still play it every now and then.

Here is the URL to Pat Metheny's official website.

There is a lot of nice and interesting material you can find on YouTube.

Anyway, enjoy this video!

No comments: